Thursday, January 15, 2009

Hope for PKU

I just received an article today that has given me hope in dealing with this...

There is a drug about to undergo clinical trials that has worked in mice. It is an injection and it made their Phe levels totally normal.

I am sure it is a long way off from getting FDA approved-- but just to know someone out there is working on something that may help my child is so encouraging. It makes me really thankful for all of the people that I don't even know that are working on something that will affect my family. Wow!

We went to a fundraiser dinner tonight for Garrett's school and a local hamburger joint. What will Davis eat there in a few years... nothing- oh maybe a fruit cup or applesauce. Not fair! Why him?? Why can't I be the one affected. He is so innocent and has no idea what is in store for him. Of course I will try to make his diet as "normal" as possible- but how normal can it be? It makes me so sad to think about it, especially when I see him smiling. He is so happy now. I really dread starting food. It is funny-with Garrett I couldn't wait to start rice cereal and baby food. I am dreading starting food with Davis. To me it marks the beginning of a whole different life- for him, for me, for all of us.

I will do whatever I can for that little boy. I will make his childhood as normal as can be. I will cook low protein foods and buy whatever I can so that he can enjoy food like the rest of us.

But for now, I hold onto HOPE that by the time he is 5 or 10 yrs old there will be something to allow him to eat a normal diet and he will never remember being any different.

No comments: