Sunday, December 9, 2007

Results of Lap

Well I had the lap done on Friday. I was pretty nervous going into it but DH and my Mom were there to support me. The nurse that prepped me was hilarious. She and I shared the same birthday. The anesthesiologist was great too. Once he put the "margarita" in my IV on the way to the OR I don't remember a thing. I woke up in the recovery room thinking I was Christmas shopping. Waking up was the strangest sensation!! My Mom and DH were able to come in pretty soon after I woke up- I was able to eat, drink and pee and was on my way home.

Now to what the lap revealed...
I do have endo- DH said that the Dr. said it was a pretty good case of it even though I don't have the usual symptoms. Dr was able to remove it.
There were some stringy things attached to various parts, he removed that as well
One ovary had a cyst and he removed that. He said this ovary is small and looks older than I am-- great.
The other ovary was attached to my pelvis due to the endo-so he fixed that.
What he seemed most concerned about was the finger-like things that are supposed to grab the egg from the ovary were damaged by the endo. They are supposed to be long and wispy, mine are short and stubby.
I have an appt next week to discuss options but Dr. told DH and Mom that he thinks we should generate alot of eggs to give the "fingers" more opportunity to pick one up. So I guess that means injectibles. Insurance will pay for IUI so I am sure we will do that as well.

After 2-3 months of that move on to IVF (if insurance covers---more on that later)
I guess if insurance doesn't cover it that will be the end of our journey.

Now about the insurance- they have "told" me on the phone all along that the DO NOT cover IVF. But I printed the benefits off the internet and there was a rider attached to the plan that covered IVF if the couple met certain criteria--- one being endometriosis. Seems pretty cut and dry to me right? Well they have been "researching" it for 3 weeks now. First they had to speak with the supervisor, then to the acct rep., now they are speaking with the legal dept. I guess I really threw them through the loop when I actually read the book and didn't just rely on what they "told" me. I am sure the legal dept is trying to figure a way out- hopefully they won't. I am going to call tomorrow and try to (nicely) demand an answer. I mean if they will cover IVF screw the IUI's--let's move straight to that!

Anyway I am recovering nicely from the surgery-- the gas is finally gone, hopefully the bloating will follow soon. The incisions are only slightly tender. Mentally I am both relieved and sad. On one hand at least I know what is causing the problems and I realize that in order for insurance to cover IVF I need this diagnosis. On the other hand I am sad-- what if this prevents me from having another baby. I mean I am VERY thankful for Garrett, but I don't feel my family is complete...

1 comment:

nancy said...

Well, that sucks about the short/stubby fingerlike things. Hopefully they'll still be able to grab an egg. My sister has VERY short and stubby fingers and she's still able to pick up an egg (bad try at humor?)

Good luck with your insurance. Looks like your insurance covers a lot and it it covers IVF too? Wow. Congrats!